USS Charlottesville PF 26

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Charlottesville PF-26

Charlottesville

A city in Virginia.

(PF-26: dp. 1,430; 1. 393'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20
k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)

Charlottesville (PF-26) was launched 30 July 1943 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. J. E. Gleason, wife of the mayor of Charlottesville, and commissioned 10 April 1944, Lieutenant W. F. Cass, USCG, in command.

Departing New York 18 August 1944, Charlottesville arrived at Finschhafen, New Guinea, 29 September by way of Bora Bora in the Society Islands. She operated on convoy escort and antisubmarine patrol duty between New Guinea and the Philippines until 6 March 1945 when she departed Leyte for Seattle, arriving 16 June. Following the training of Russian personnel in the operation of the ship, Charlottesville was decommissioned 12 July 1946 and transferred to U.S.S.R. the next day under lend-lease. Returned to United States custody 17 October 1949 at Yokosuka, Japan, Charlottesville was lent to Japan 14 January 1963 and renamed Matsu.

Charlottesville received two battle stars for service in World War II.