USS Magnet II  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Magnet II AM-260

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Magnet

II

(AM-260: dp. 625; 1. 184'6"; b.,33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl.
104; a. 13", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)

The second Magnet (AM-260) was laid down by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, Ohio, 13 March 1943; launched 5 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John J. Boland; and commissioned 10 March 1944, Lt. H. A. Babione in command.

Following commissioning in the 9th Naval District, Magnet steamed down the Mississippi River en route to Norfolk, reporting 17 April 1944. After shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay, she joined Mine Division 31 and, for the next 9 months operated out of Recife, Brazil, sweeping the main shipping channels of South American ports. She also escorted convoys to and from the West Indies, patrolled the harbor, and engaged in antisubmarine training.

On 10 March 1945 she was detached from the South Atlantic Forces and assigned to TG 23.2 at Miami. There she served as a schoolship until 28 June, when she got underway for Norfolk. On 18 August, after a brief overhaul, she returned to Miami, where she decommissioned on the 28th. Transferred to the Nationalist Chinese Government under the terms of lend lease the game day, she commissioned in that Navy as Yung Shun (MSF-46). Yung Shun was officially returned in accordance with the terms of the original loan, and then redelivered to the Republic of China under the Military Assistance Program, 7 February 1948. Magnet was struck from the Navy list 12 March 1948.