USS Hawk II  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Hawk II AM-133

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Hawk II

(AM-133; dp. 590; 1. 147'; b. 2(S'; dr. 13'; s. 12 k.; a. 2
6-pdrs. )

The second Hawk (AM-133), a converted trawler, was built in 1937 as Gale by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy 1 January 1942 from her owner, General Sea Foods Corp, Boston; converted to a minesweeper at Bethlehem Steel's Atlantic Yard, and commissioned 23 May 1942, Lt. J. W. Lowes in command.

Hawk was assigned to the 1st Naval District and was based at the Boston Section Base. She performed general minesweeping duties near Boston and in mid-1943 was assigned to the Northern Ship Lane Patrol. Hawk decommisioned 1 May 1944 and was sold.