USS Garland   \

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Garland AM-238

Garland II

(AM-238: dp. 625 1. 184'6", b. 33', dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 2 4Omm., 6 20mm., 2 .30 cal. mg., 2 dct., 3 dcp; cl. Admirable)

The second Garland (AM-238) was launched 20 February 1944 by Winslow Marine Railway & Shipbuilding Co., Winslow, Wash.; sponsored by Miss Karen Lundberg and commissioned 26 August 1944, Lt. Carl Carmichael in command.

After shakedown out of Puget Sound Garland departed San Pedro Calif., 12 November with a convoy to Rossol Roads, Palau Islands, where she arrived 2 January 1945. The minesweeper acted as entrance control ship at Rossol Roads; escorted convoys between Peleliu and Ulithi until 20 May, then patrolled convoy routes between Ulithi and Eniwetok. She departed Ulithi 28 June escorting a 16 ship convoy bound for Buckner Bay, Okinawa, arriving 17 July.

Based at Buckner Bay, Garland swept mines in the East China Sea (22-31 July 1945) and (13-25 August 1945). Shifting to Ominato Ro, Honshu, she swept Japanese mineflelds to clear the path for Allied transports carrying occupation troops to the Empire. Garland departed Ominato Ro 20 October to serve as flagship of Mine Division 40 at Sasebo until 20 November when she sailed for the United States, arriving San Diego 19 December. Departing San Diego 31 January 1946, she transited the Panama Canal and steamed to Orange, Tex.; decommissioned there 2 August 1946; and joined the Altantic Reserve Fleet. Reclassified MSE-238 7 February 1955, Garland remained in the Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 April 1960. She was sold to Ships and Power, Inc. 24 October 1960.

Garland received two battle stars for World War II service.

 

'); ');