USS Achomawi  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Dash- AM-88

Dash

Energy in style or action; animation.

(AM-88: dp. 295; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 11'7"; s. 17
k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3"; cl. Adroit)

The first Dash (AM-88) was launched 20 June 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; and commissioned 27 October 1942, Lieutenant R. I. Thieme, USNR, in command.

Putting to sea from San Pedro, Calif., 3 January 1943 Dash arrived at Noumea 25 February, escorting convoys to Pearl Harbor and Pago Pago, Samoa, en route. She operated out of Noumea on local escort duty and antisubmarine patrol until 9 April when she steamed to Suva, Fiji Islands, to relieve HMS Viti as local escort and patrol vessel. From 3 to 7 May she escorted the torpedoed SS William Williams to the safety of Suva. On 14 May she rescued 25 men including the commanding officer from the torpedoed SS Phoebe Hearst, and 3 days later picked up 56 men from the SS William K. Vanderbilt.

Dash escorted a convoy to Guadalcanal between 26 July and 16 August 1943, then began steady duty between Noumea Efate, and Espiritu Santo. Returning to Guadalcanal 4 October she swept mines off Kolombangara Island from 23 October to 6 November, then returned to escort duty between the Solomons and Noumea and Espiritu Santo. Aside from a voyage to Auckland, New Zealand between 16 January and 1 February 1944 escorting Delphinius (AF-24), Dash alternated escort duty and patrol in the Solomons, New Hebrides, and New Caledonia until the end of the war. She was reclassified PC-1592 1 June 1944.

PC-1592 remained in the South Pacific, operating in the Fiji Islands and Samoa until her return to Pearl Harbor. She was decommissioned there 10 May 1946 and transferred to the War Assets Administration for disposal 19 December 1947.