USS Bulwark AM-425   \

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Bullfinch AM-66

Bulwark

A bulwark is a solid wall-11ke structure; a rampart.

Bulwark (AMc--66) was renamed Avenge (AMc-66) (q. v.) 23 May 1941.

Bulwark (AMc-68) was placed in service 5 February 1942 and served in the Ist Naval District during World War II. She was sold to the City of Boston on 12 September 1946.

(MSO-425: dp. 620; 1. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 15 k.;
cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Aggressive)

Bulwark (AM-425) was launched 14 March 1953 by Norfolk Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Maloney, wife of Captain Maloney; and commissioned 12 November 1953, Lieutenant J. A. Paulick in command.

Bulwark conducted shakedown off Florida. During her first year of service she was engaged ina limited amount of duty due to her relatively new design which in the course of operations brought about numerous alterations.

In May 1955 Bulwark was ordered to join the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and on 18 May, with other members of her division, she sailed into Lisbon, Portugal. Bulwark returned to Charleston, S. C., 4 October 1955. Since that time she has operated out of Charleston conducting type training and exercises along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean.