USS Barbican  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Adams-DM-27

Barbican

(ACM-5: dp. 880; 1. 188'2"; b. 37'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12.6
k.; cpl. 69; a. 140mm.; cl. Chimo)

Barbican ( ACM-5) was built in 1942: by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., as Colonel George Armistead for the Army Coast Artillery Corps; transferred to the Navy 6 January 1945, converted to an auxiliary minelayer at Charleston Navy Yard; commissioned 24 March 1945, Lieutenant Commander A. Anderson, Jr., in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

Barbican arrived in the Pacific too late to participate actively in combat against the Japanese. Departing Pearl Harbor 17 August, she arrived at Saipan 20 September 1945 after a brief stop at Midway. For one month she operated between the Marianas and Ryukyu Islands' as a tender and operational headquarters for ua YMS squadron. On 24 October she departed Okinawa for Sasebo Japan Barbica~ remained on occupation duty in the Far East until 24 February 1946 when she departed for the United States. Barbican was decommissioned 12 June 1946 and loaned to the Coast Guard the same day.