USS Advance Navy History, History, USS Navy, Battleships, Carriers, Cruisers">  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Advance

Advance

V

(AMc-63: dp. 185; 1. 97'1"; b. 22'0"; dr. 9'0"; s. 10.0 k.;
cpl. 17; a. 2 .60-car. mg.; cl. Accentor)

The fifth Advance (AMc 63) was laid down on 12 April 1941 at Greenport, Long Island, N.Y., by the Greenport Basin & Construction Co. as Aggressor, renamed Advance on 23 May 1941; launched on 28 June 1941, sponsored by Miss Mary R. Gillespie; and placed in service at the New York Navy Yard on 10 October 1941, Lt. Walter E. Goering, USNR, in charge.

The coastal minesweeper completed her outfitting at Brooklyn and moved south to Norfolk, Va. After mine detection and sweeping training under the auspices of the Naval Mine Warfare School at Yorktown, Va., Advance began operations with the forces assigned to the Commandant, 5th Naval District. Based at Little Creek, Va., she served directly under the Commander, Inshore Patrol, 5th Naval District. That duty lasted until late May of 1944 when she was reassigned to the 1st Naval District. She operated along the New England coast until the middle of June 1945. At that time, she returned briefly to Norfolk before continuing on to Charleston, S.C. in July. There, the minesweeper reported to the Commandant 6th Naval District, for disposition. On 6 December 1945, she was placed out of service and berthed in the Wando River. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 3 January 1946, and she was sold for scrapping on 3 March 1947 to Mr. Lloyd Lambert, of Baltimore, Md.