USS Vester

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Vester

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Vester

(MSA: t. 117 (gross); 1. 96'4"; b. 18'4"; dr. 5'9"
(mean); s. 7.6 k.; cpl. 24; a. 2 1-pdrs.)

Vester-a wooden-hulled freight boat completed in 1876 at Boothbay, Maine-was acquired by the Navy from the Delaware Fish Oil Co. on 24 May 1917, designated SP-686; and commissioned on 2 June 1917, Ens. J. T. H. Anderson, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the 4th Naval District, Vester operated on patrol duties until 21 October, when she was transferred to the district minesweeping squadron. Based then at the Section Base at Lewes, Del., the ship appears to have spent most of her active duty alongside a pier with her engines out of commission. After 11 September 1918, she was shifted to routine patrol duties when her antiquated single-expansion power plant would permit.

She remained thus engaged until decommissioned at Cape May, N.J., on 15 May 1919. Vester was sold on 15 January 1920 to Hayes and Anderton, of New York City.
hjk