USS Ryer

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ryer AG-138

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Ryer

An island off the coast of California.

(AG-138: dp. 935 (f.), 1. 177', b. 32'; dr. 10' s. 13 k. cpl. 26; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. AG-130)

Ryer (AG-138), built in 1944 for commercial use by the Sturgcon Bay Ship Building & Dry Docking Co. of Sturgeon Bay, Wis., was accepted by the Army and designated FS-361 on 28 February 1944, taken over by the Navy 22 February 1947; named Ryer and designated AG 138 on 3 April 1947, and commissioned on 8 June 1947.

Redesignated AKL-9 on 31 March 1949, Rver was used by the Navy until the summer of 1950 on logistic support and surveillance missions in the Marianas Caroline, Bonin, and Marshall Islands. During the Korean Conflict, she carried ammunition between Sasebo and various Korean ports, including Pusan and Inchon from September 1950 to September 1951. From Korean duty, the ship returned to logistic support and surveillance duties in Micronesia, with her home port at Guam. She continued this service until returning to the United States for decommissioning

Ryer was placed in commission, in reserve, on 18 June 1955 and out of commission, in reserve, at Astoria Oreg., on 4 August 1955. At Astoria until struck from the Navy list at San Diego on 1 July 1961, she was delivered to her purchaser, pacific Tow-Boat & Salvage Co., Long Beach, Calif., on 25 January 1962.

Ryer earned six battle stars for service in the Korean Conflict.