USS Puritan IV

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Puritan IV IX-69

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Puritan IV

(IX-69: dp. 101; 1. 102'9"; b. 22'; s. 8 k.)

The fourth Puritan, an auxiliary schooner built by the Eleetrie Boat Company, Groton, Conn., in 1931, was acquired by the Navy from Harry J. Bauer, Los Angeles, Calif. 3 May 1942 and placed in service 19 May 1942.

Beginning active duty with the Navy, Puritan was assigned to the Western Sea Frontier, 11th Naval District, San Diego. Fear of Japanese attack had reached a zenith on the west coast by 1942. Puritan operated on the San Diego Coastal Patrol throughout her Naval career, guarding against such an attack.

Puritan had but a brief tour with the Navy and was placed out of service at San Diego 27 September 1943. She was struck from the Navy Register 28 June 1944 and transferred to the War Shipping Administration for return to her former owner 18 November 1944.