USS Proserpine

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Proserpine APL-21

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Proserpine



(APL-21: dp. 4,100; 1. 327'9"; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 119;
a. 1 3", 4 40mm.)

Proserpine (ARL 21) was laid down as LST-1116 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co. 2 October 1944 Iaunehed 28 December 1944, and commissioned 9 January l9i5.

After dryDocking in Mobile, Ala., LST-1116 eommeneed shakedown in St. Andrews Bay, Fla. 31 January 1945. She then decommissioned 15 February at Gibbs Gas Engine Co. Jacksonville, Fla., underwent conversion, and recommissioned as Proserpine (ARL-21), a landing craft repair ship, 31 May 1945.

Assigned to Commander, Amphibious Force, Atlantic for shakedown, Proserpine operated out of Hampton Roads, Va. from 14 June through 6 July. Thenee passing via the Windward Passage and the Panama Canal, she called at San Diego, Calif. 4 August. Three weeks later she wns at Pearl Harbor. From there she moved on to provide mobile repair services at Eniwetok through 16 September, at Guam through 6 October, and at Leyte, P.I. through 1 April 1946.

By the end of April 1946, Proserpine stood out of Pearl Harbor and proceed via the Panama Canal, Houston, and New Orleans for Mayport, Fla., arriving there 1 May. She decommissioned and was placed in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla.18 January 1947.

Reaetivation of Proserpine eommeneed 19 September 1950 and she recommissioned 27 October 1950, Lt. Comdr. J. B. Darrow in command. She entered drydock at Merrill-Stevens Shipyard, Jacksonville, Fla. 21 November, after which she eommeneed refresher training in Chesapeake Bay.

Proserpine returned to Little Creek, Va. and eommeneed repair activities 1 April 1951. ThrouKh 1955 she operated at the Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va., with regular training cruises into the Virgina Capes Operating Areas, and periodic short deployments to the Caribbean. Placed in reserve at Little Creek 15 February 1956, she decommissioned 24 May and remained in reserve until sold 26 September 1960 to Interamerican Standard Co., New York.