USS Preble III

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Preble III

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Preble III

(Torpedo boat destroyer 12: dp. 592,1. 250'2", b. 23'1", dr. 6'6";s.28k.;cpl. 87; a. 2 3", 4 6-pdrs., 3 18" tt.; cl. Bainbridge)

The third Preble (Torpedo boat destroyer 12) was laid down by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., 21 April 1899 launched 2 March 1901, sponsored by Miss Ethel Preble, and commissioned 14 December 1903, Lt. T. C. Fenton in command.

Preble, assigned to the Pacific Fleet, operated with the 4th and 2nd Torpedo Flotillas off the western seaboard from Washington to the Panama Canal Zone until 1908, making a cruise to Hawaii and Samoa (24 August-November 1908). On returning she resumed west coast operations, continuing

them until 4 February 1909, when she arrived at Mare Island for inactivation. In reserve 23 February-17 September, she was then reassigned to the Pacific Torpedo Flotilla, and until 1913 operated with Torpedo Flotilla, Pacific Fleet. Placed in reserve again 19 June 1913, she remained at Mare Island until resuming operations with the torpedo flotilla 23 April 1914.

Torpedo praetiee, gunnery exercises and minesweeping operations followed, and during the summer of 1915 Preble participated in a cruise to Alaskan waters to gather logistic information. After another period in reserve status (25 October 191~3 April 1917), Preble departed San Diego 30 April 1917 for the east coast. She arrived at Norfolk 13 July and, until the end of World War I, was engaged in coastwise convoy duty along the mid-Atlantic seaboard. Remaining on the east coast after the war, she decommissioned at New York, 11 July 1919. Her name was struck from the Navy List 15 September 1919 and she was sold, 3 January 1920, to Joseph G. Hitner of Philadelphia, Pa.