USS Plymouth II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Plymouth II ScSlp

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
II Plymouth

(ScSlp.: t' 1,122, Ibp. 250'6", b 38'0", dr. 16'0", s. 12 k
a. 1 ll" D.sb., 10 9" D.sb.; 1 60-pdr., 2 20-pdr.r.)

The second Plymouth, a wooden-hulled, screw sloop-of-war, was laid down aB Kenosha at the New York Navy Yard in 1867; completed in 1868, and commissioned 20 January 1869 Capt. William H. MeComb in command.

Kermeha got underway eastward across the Atlantic 25 February 1869. Whlle on the European Station she was renamed Plymouth, 15 May 1869. Word of the change reached her at Ville Franehe, France, 26 June. She then cruised off the Levant and North Africa under her new name, returning to Marseilles 19 November. From southern France, she eontmued on to Portsmouth, England, whence she escorted the British steamer Monareh, carrying the remains of George Peabody, American merchant, financier and philanthropist, to the United States for burial. Arriving at Portland, Maine 25 January 1870, she remained there on ceremonial duty until saiEng for Portsmouth, N.H., for refit at the navy yard.

Plymouth departed New York 12 July and steamed to the Mediterranean where Rear Admiral Bogg selected her as flagship of the European Station, 21 September. She sailed for the coast of Africa 17 February 1872, thence headed home via the West Indies and remained on the Atlantic coast until returning to European waters 1 November 1872. This deployment lasted until the screw sloop sailed for home 6 June 1873. She arrived at New York on the 18th? thence proceeded to Portsmouth, N.H., where she decommissioned on the 28th.

Recommissioned 10 October 1874, the sloop operated along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean until decommissioning again 17 May 1879. She remained in ordinary at Portsmouth until scrapped in 1884.