USS Pheonix IV

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Phoenix IV AG-172

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Phoenix IV

(AG-172: dp. 15,199 (f.), 1. 455'3", b. 62', dr. 28'5", s. 17 k
cpl. 50; a. none; cl. Phoeni~; T. VC2~AP3)

Phoenix was laid down under Maritime Commission contraet as Capital Victory (MCV-183) 27 February 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg., Iaunehed 10 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Chester R. Kinmon and delivered 8 May 1945.

Renamed Arizona in 1948, the cargo ship was renamed Phoeni~ for Navy use 20 November 1962 and elassified AG 172 the same day; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Administration 25 November 1962, assigned to M.S.T.S. and manned by a civil service crew in July 1963. The special project ship, with Cheyenne (AG-174) and Provo (AG-173) was stationed in Subic Bay, Philippines as forward floating depots. The utility of such depots was demonstrated in 1964 by the excellent performance of these ships in operation "Quick Release."

In 1965 Phoenix began general cargo operation under Commander, M.S.T.S. in the Far East and with a Korean crew continued this duty until- 1970.

A former name retained.