USS P.H. Burnett

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

P.H. Burnett IX-104

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
P. H. Burnett

(IX-104: dp. 4,023 (It.) 1. 441'6", b. 56'1l", dr. 27'7", s
11 k.; cpl. 182; a. 1 5", 1 3", 4 20mm.; T. EC2-S Cl)

P. H. Burnett (IX-104), a Liberty-type cargo ship, was laid down as Peter H. Burnett under Maritime Commission
contract by California Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Calif., 29 June 1942, launched 10 August 1942, sponsored by Mrs. Clyde Weed; and delivered to her operator, American President Lines, 29 August 1942. She carried cargo in the Pacific until 15 June 1943 when she was acquired by the Navv from the Maritime Commission under bareboat charter. named P. H. Burnell and designated IX-104 on 18 June, she was accepted bY the Commander Servico Force, 7th Fleet, 2 July 1943, and placed in seryice 30 August 1943, Lt. D. Ruos in charge.

As a dry cargo provisions ship, P. H. BurrreU served at staging areas in the Pacific during the remainder of the war. With a cargo capacity in excess of 130,000 cubic feet, she hauled and discharged thousands of tons of supplies to the ships that ultimately carried the might of American seapower to Japan's homeland. Joining Service Squadron 8 on 1 February 1944, she continued her supply operations as the westward advance of the Allies progressed.

Following the Japanese surrender, P. H. Burnett remained in the Pacific until ordered to return to the United States early in 1946. Under tow, she proceeded from the Western Pacific via Midway to Seattle, Wash., where she arrived that summer. P. H. Burnett was placed out of service 7 August 1946 and transferred to the Reserye Fleet Division of WSA. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 8 October 1946. She remained in custody of the Maritime Commission until 1959.