USS Panda

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Panda IX-125

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Panda



(IX-125: dp. 3,665,1. 441'6", b. 57', dr. 27'9", s. 11 k., cpl.
84; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; T. ~ET1-S-C3)

Panda (IX-125) was laid down as Opie Read (MC hull 1929) in 1943 by Delta Shipbuilding Co., New Orleans, La. renamed Panda 27 October 1943 upon charter from WSA accepted 5 January 1944; and commissioned 6 January 1944, Lt. Comdr. William A. Porteous, Jr., in command.

Panda joined the logistics forces of the 7th Fleet in the Southwest Pacific in March 1944, and served as floating oil storage facility, primarily at Hollandia, New Guinea, until October, when she followed the invasion forces to San Pedro Bay, Leyte. During the next three months, her gunners splashed five enemy planes during four separate attacks, none of which could put her out of action. Her vital service to the fleet in the Philippines continued through the final months of action as ships she supplied won the great victory. Panda remained in the Philippines to serve occupation forces until sailing for Norfolk, arriving 5 June 1946. There she decommissioned 12 July 1946, returned to WSA 15 July 1946, and was stricken from the Navy Register 31 July 1946.

Panda received one battle star for World War II service.