USS Orchid

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Orchid WAGL 240

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Orchid
(WAGL 240: dp. 677; 1. 174'; b. 30'; dr. 13'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 33)

Orchid was built in 1908 by American Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, N. J. as a Lighthouse Service tender. Assigned permanent station at Baltimore, Md., she operated through most of her career in Chesapeake Bay waters. She performed tender operations out of Baltimore through 1935 when she transferred to Norfolk, Va.

When the Lighthouse Service became part of the Coast Guard in 1939, Orchid was one of the older service craft that made the change. She continued active service as a buoy tender out of Norfolk through the war. In early December 1945 she decommissioned and was sold to the Philippine government.