USS Navesink

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Navesink WYT-88

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Navesink
(WYT-88: dp. 290; 1. 110'; b. 25'; dr. 9'; s. 11.5 k.)

Navesink' built at the Charleston Navy Yard, Charleston, S. C. as a harbor eutter for the Coast Guard, was launched in 1934. Upon completion she commissioned and was assigned permanent duty in New York Harbor.

When Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the entire Coast Guard to the Navy, Navesink continued service as a harbor cutter and tug boat in the Third Naval District. She remained in the naval service until September 1945, at which time she returned to the Coast Guard.

The tug departed New York City 19 September and steamed for Norfolk for temporary harbor duty under the Commandant of the Fifth District Coast Guard Office. Executive Order 9666 officially returned the Coast Guard to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946. Navesink returned to New York City and remained active as a tug throughout the post-war years. Through 1969 she continues tug operations out of New York City as WYTM-88.