USS Narcissus II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Narcissus II WAGL-238

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Narcissus II
(WAGL-238: dr. 342; 1. 122'; b. 28'; dr. 8'; s. 10.3 k.; cpl. 17)

Narcissus was built for the Coast Guard by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Corporation, Duluth, Minn. in 1939. Designed as a navigational aid tender, she was assigned to Wilmington, N.C. In 1940 she transferred to Portsmouth, Va.

Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navv. Through the war years Nareissus continued to serve as a large inland buoy tender, operating out of Portsmouth. When the Coast Guard returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946, the tender remained in an active status. Through 1970 she has continued her buoytending duties from her permanent station at Portsmouth.