USS Mariveles II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Mariveles II IX-197

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Mariveles

II

(IX-197: 15,450 (f.) ; 1. 450'; b. 59'; dr. 28'1"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 90; a. 2 3", 8 20 mm.)

The second Mariveles (IX-197) was completed by Baltimore Drydock & Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Md., In 1923, and prior to World War II performed merchant tanker service as Miller County, Aurora, and Jamestown.
She was acquired by the Maritime Commission in 1943 and served WSA as Jamestown. She was authorized for use by the Navy as a storage and station tanker 17 November 1944. Following her arrival at Brisbane, Australia, she was accepted under bareboat charter and commissioned as Mariveles 17 April 1945, Lt. Comdr. Edward L. Newman in command.

Mariveles loaded a deck cargo of landing craft at Brisbane and a hold cargo of lube oil at Townsville before sailing for the Philippines 30 April. She reached Hollandia, New Guinea, 8 May and because of an engine casualty remained there as station tanker until late June. During that time she exchanged her deck and hold cargoes for more than 33,000 barrels of motor gasoline and 42,000 barrels of aviation gasoline. Thence she sailed 27 June for the Philippines; and, after touching at Biak the 29th, she reached Subic Bay, Luzon, 10 July and began duty as station tanker while awaiting extensive engine repairs.

Assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet, Mariveles departed for Cebu Island 1 September. From 6 to 29 September she discharged motor gasoline to tankers and small craft and supplied U.S. Army Forces with necessary fuel. Following a supply run to Iloilo, Panay. early in October, she continued station tanker duty at Cebu until sailing 30 December for Leyte Gulf, Arriving I January 1946, she discharged more than 34,000 barrels of aviation gasoline 6 January and steamed to Manicani Island where she remained during the remainder of the month, badly in need of extensive repair.

With her engineering, electrical, and refrigerated equipment inoperative, Mariveles was towed to Subic Bay between 16 and 20 February. In March she "became uninhabitable"; and, although a security watch was maintained in the ship, her crew transferred to quarters on shore. Stripped of all Navy gear by 12 April. she decommissioned 8 June 1946 and was returned to WSA the same day. Her name was struck from the Navy list 10 June 1947. She was sold by the Maritime Commission to the Asia Development Corp., 3 March 1948 for use as scrap.