USS Justin II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Justin II IX-228

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Justin

II

(IX-228: dp. 3,381; 1. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 27'11"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 210; a. 13", 15", 3 20mm.; T. EC2-S-Cl)

The second Justin (IX-228), formerly liberty ship Gus W. Darnell, was built by Todd-Houston Shipbuilding Corp., Houston, Tex., in 1944; operated as a cargo ship in the Pacific; was acquired by the Navy 2 September 1945; and commissioned at Guiuan Roadstead, Philippine Islands 4 September 1945, Lt. William T. Hamilton in command.

Justin departed for Shanghai, China, 20 October where she embarked naval passengers for transport to the United States. She picked up a cargo of 3,000 bags of mail at Guam before arriving San Francisco 23 December 1945. Justin decommissioned at San Francisco 23 January 1946 and was turned over to the WSA. She was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., until being sold 25 May 1954 to Boston Metals Corp. and scrapped. American activity in the Orient. She returned to San Francisco 23 November 1907 via Guam and Honolulu. From 1907 to 1915 Justin carried coal to units of the Pacific Fleet stationed at widely scattered points from the West Coast to South America. She decommissioned at Mare Island 20 December 1915.