USS Jekyl

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Jekyl AG-135

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Jekyl

An island off the coast of Georgia.

(AG-135: dp. 520; 1. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 26;
cl. Camano)

Jekyl (AG-13,53) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Long Island, N.Y., for the Army and served as FS-282 until being transferred to the Navy at Guam 22 February 1947. She was converted to Navy use and commissioned at Guam 2 May 1947, Lt. F. E. Richards in command.

One of a group of small Army cargo ships transferred to the Navy for use among the Pacific Islands, Jekyl carried ammunition, food, and supplies to various island bases and outposts. She operated mainly from Kwajalein Atoll, and steamed through the Marianas and Carolines to Pearl Harbor in support of occupation forces. The ship also transported officials of the civil governments and helped carry native products as America began to restore normal life to the ravaged Pacific. On 31 March 1949 she was reclassified AKL-6.

The ship was relieved of her duties in December 1949 and arrived Pearl Harbor on the 15th. From there she steamed to Seattle, where she decommissioned 12 April 1950, and was placed in reserve at Astoria, Oreg. Jekyl was sold 18 May 1960 and scrapped.