USS Investigator

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Investigator YAGR-9

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Investigator

One who makes an inquiry or examination.

(YAGR-9: dp. 10760 (f.), 1. 441'6", b. 56'11', dr. 24'
s. 11 k.; cpl. 150; cl. Guardian; T. ~EC2-S-C5)

Investigator (YAGR-9) was launched by J. A, Jones Co., Inc., Panama City, Fla., as Liberty Ship Charles A Draper 9 January 1945, sponsored by Mrs. E. L Cills and delivered 24 January 1945 to Polarus Steamship Co., Inc. The ship carried replacement aircraft and cargo until the end of the war and entered the James River National Defense Reserve Fleet 26 October 1945. After a brief period of service in 1947 she entered the Reserve Fleet at Mobile, and was acquired by the Navy 2 July 1956. Renamed Investigator, she was converted to Navy use at Charleston Naval Shipyard and commissioned there 16 January 1957, Lt. Comdr. J. H. Mehus in command.

Equipped with the latest in air search and tracking systems, the ship conducted her shakedown training in the Caribbean and departed Guantanamo Bay for her new home port, Davisville, R.I. Invedtigator began her operational pattern of 3- to 4-week cruise in the North Atlantic as the seaward extension of the Continental Air Defense Command's air early warning system. Operating in conjunction with search aircraft, she could detect, track, and report aircraft at long ranges, and in the event of enemy attack could control high speed U.S. interceptor aircraft and direct them to target. The ship was reclassified AGR-9 effective 28 September 1958. She continued radar picket station duties for the Continental Air Defense Command, detecting and tracking inbound airborne objects and controlling Jet interceptor aircraft umtil decommissioned 29 March 1965. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 April 1965. She was transferred the same day to the Maritime Commission and entered the Maritime Hudson River Defense Reserve Fleet, N.Y., where she remains.