USS Interpreter

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Interpreter AGR-14

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Interpreter

(AGR-14: dp. 10,760(f) 1. 441'B"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'; s.
11 k.; cpl. 151; cl. Guardian; T. ZE:C2~S-C5)

Interpreter (AGR-14) was launched as Liberty Ship Dudley n. Thomas by J. A. Jones Construction Co., Inc. Panama City, Fla., 8 February 1945- sponsored by Miss Carrie Corbitt, and delivered 21 February 1945 to Merchants and Miners Transportation Co., Boston. The ship served as an aircraft freighter during the war and later as a cargo ship for various companies. She was in the National Defense Reserve Fleet 1947-1951 and from 25 August 1953 until acquired by the Navy 5 June 1957. Renamed Interpreter, the ship was converted to Navy use at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard and commissioned there 29 September 1958, Comdr. J. S. Craft in command.

One of a class of sixteen radar picket ships, Interpreter conducted shakedown exercises in the Caribbean before departing Guantanamo Bay 1 February 1959 for her new home port, San Franciseo. Equipped with the most advanced long range radar and communications gear, Interpreter jointed the Continental Air Defense Command as part of America's vital early warning system. Operating with search aircraft for periods of 3 to 4 weeks at sea, the ship reported and tracked aircraft at great distances and controlled interceptors in the event of enemy air attack.

Interpreter continued regular patrols in the Contiguous Radar Barrier, for 6 years, providing a vital link in the air defense of her country.

Struck 1 July 1966 Interpreter was turned over to the Maritime Reserve Fleet, Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains.