USS Greyhound III

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Greyhound III IX-106

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Greyhound III

(IX-106: t. 3,731; 1. 407'; b. 61'3"; dr. 18'; s. 15 k.)

Greyhound (IX-106) was built by the Delaware River Steamboat Co., Chester, Pa., in 1906, taken over by the Navy on the West Coast in 1918; and commissioned as Yale 25 March 1918. She saw extensive service shuttling troops across the English Channel until she decommissioned at the Bremerton Navy Yard in 1920. After 15 years of fast passenger service along the West Coast, Yale was laid up in 1935; in 1940 she was moved to Sitka, Alaska, where she served as a workers' dormitory. She was again acquired by the Navy 30 April 1943 and commissioned 8 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. W. N. VanDenbrugh, in command. She was named Greyhound 19 August 1943. After brief service Greyhound decommissioned 31 March 1944, and began duty as a coating barracks for personnel at various Puget Sound training schools. She was placed out of service on 9 March 1948 and her name was struck 18 June 1948. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission 12 November 1948 and placed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. until 5 June 1949 when she was sold for scrapping.

 

'); ');