USS Ash

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ganymede-AR-104

Ganymede

The third satellite of the Planet Jupiter, and a shepherdess in Shakespeare's ~ 8 You Like It.

(AR-104: dp. (t.) 14,350; 1.441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4";
s. 13 k.; cpl. 219; a. 1 5", 4 40mm.; cl. Crater)

Ganymede, formerly merchant ship Jamee W. Nye, was launched under Maritime Commission contract 8 June 1943, by the Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. William C. Dalby of Oakland; acquired 23 June 1943, commissioned 31 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. Glenn El. Melichar in command.

After shakedown training out of Oakland, Calif., Ganymede departed San Francisco 28 August 1943 carrying military cargo to Pallikulo Bay, New Hebrides, and to Queensland, Melbourne, and Sydney, Australia. Assigned to the 7th Fleet Service Force, she sailed from Queensland 29 November 1943 with fuel, supplies, and passengers for Milue and Langemak Bays, New Guinea and thence returned to Australia. During the next 12 months she transported military cargo of many types and provided limited passenger service from ports of Australia to bases in New Guinea, including Humboldt Bay, Milne Bay, Cape Sudest and Terahmerah Bay. Her itinerary was expanded in February 1945 to include Leyte, Manila, Subic Bay and Samar in the Philippines, with occasional calls at Manus, Admiralty Islands.

Ganymede continued her busy Australia-New Guinea Philippines-Australia supply circuit until 20 November when she departed Brisbane, Australia for the United States arriving San Francisco 18 December. She remained in port until 25 February 1946 when she sailed for Pearl Harbor to take part in special explosive tests prior to her decommissioning there 15 April 1946. Towed back to San Francisco, her name was struck from the Navy List 1 August 1947 and she was returned to WSA 1 October 1947 and entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remains.