(DE-211: dp. 1,400, 1. 306', b. 36'10"; dr. 9'5"; s. 24 k.;cpl.186;a.33",820mm.,41.1";2dct.,8 dcp., 1dcp. (h.h ), 3 21" tt.; cl. Buckley)
Hubbard (DE-211) was launched by Charleston Navy Yard, 11 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Helen L. Hubbard, widow of Commander Hubbard; and commissioned 6 March 1944, Lt. Comdr. L. C. Mabley in command.
Following shakedown training out of Bermuda, the new destroyer escort returned to Norfolk 7 May 1944. She then escorted oiler Manatee to the Caribbean, returning to Norfolk 23 May for armament changes. Armed with 40mm. guns in lieu of torpedo tubes, Hubbard sailed with her first convoy 1 June, seeing the transports safely to Bizerte, Tunisia and returning to New York 19 July 1944. She subsequently made two more convoy crossings in 1944, and underwent antisubmarine training at Casco Bay, Maine, between voyages.
Hubbard sailed 26 December 1944 with other destroyer escorts to hunt down weather-reporting U-boats in the Atlantic. Equipped with the latest direction-flnding gear, the ships scouted the suspected area until they came upon U-248 16 January 1045. Depth charge attacks sank the German marauder late that morning. The ships arrived New York 6 February and after additional training in Casco Bay sailed again to search for submarines 4 April from Argentia. As part of Operation Teardrop, she took part in the destruction of the last desperate U-boat group to sortie, with escort carriers Pogue, Core, and many sister ships. Frederick a. Davis (DE-136) was torpedoed and sunk suddenly 24 April, and Hubbard joined in hunting the attacker. After many depth charge attacks, four by Hubbard alone, U=46 surfaced. The destroyer escorts' guns blazed away and the submarine quickly sank.
Hubbard returned to Boston 10 May 1945 and began her conversion to a fast transport, suitable for the still-hot Pacific war. She was reclassified APD 53, 1 June 1945 and emerged from Sullivans Dry Dock, Brooklyn, 14 August, the day before the surrender of Japan.
Following 3 months of training operationc in the Caribbean and Casco Bay, Hubbard arrived Green Cove Springs, Fla., 12 November 1945. She decommissioned 15 March 1946 and entered the Reserve Fleet, where she remained until she was struck from the Navy List 1 May 1966 and scrapped.
Hubbard received two battle stars for World War II service.