(DE-698: dp.1,740 (f.); 1.306'0"; b.36'10"; dr. 13'6", s.24 k.; cpl. 213, a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 3 21" tt., 8 dcp. 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. Buckley)
Raby (DE-698) was laid down 7 June 1943 as DE - 98 by the Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; named, Raby on 22 June 1943, launched 4 September 1943, sponsored by Mrs. James Joseph Raby, and commissioned 7 December 1943 at New Orleans, Lt. Comdr. J. Seott II, in command.
After shakedown off Bermuda, Raby sailed from Norfolk 10 February 1944 via the Panama Canal for Noumea, arriving 11 March. She then escorted fast convoys from Guadaleanal as far as Manus, in the Admiralties.
Engaged in hunter-killer activities in the Solomons during the early spring, Raby resumed convoy escort missions at the end of June, remaining in the Solomons until 26 October when she got underway for Manus for similar duty in the Admiralties. In December she shifted to Ulithi, and with the new year, 1945, to Guam where she served as escort and patrol ship into June. Between 22 June and 31 August, she completed two slow tows to Okinawa and on 13 September she steamed for Pear] Harbor and the United States.
Remaining in California waters through the winter, she reported to the 7th Fleet for duty in the Far East 6 April 1946, rescuing on the same day, the crew of a downed B-29. She subsequently put into Hong Kong, Kiirun, Shanghai, and Tsingtao, reaching Okinawa 26 June. She operated out of Okinawa, China, and Japan until returning to San Diego 9 April 1947. She was assigned to TF 15 and made two runs from the west coast to Pearl Harbor before getting underway 7 December for Eniwetok, Kwajalein, and Bikini where she arrived 1 May 1948. She returned to Pearl Harbor 27 May and to San Diego 28 January 1949. She conducted local operations on the west coast, making two trips to Pearl Harbor during the rest of the year.
Reclassified as control escort ship DEC-698 on 2 November 1949, Raby transited the Panama Canal 25 January 1950 and arrived at Norfolk 1 February. During the next 31/2 years, she operated alternately in the Norfolk area and in the Caribbean. At the Naval Shipyard, Philadelphia, from June to September 1953, she arrived in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet berthing area at St. James River, Fla., 24 September. Raby decommissioned 22 December 1953. She was changed back to DE-698 on 27 December 1957. Transferred to the Orange, Tex., berthing area in 1960, Raby was struck from the Navy list 1 June 1968 and subsequently sold for scrap.
Raby earned three battle stars for World War II service.