Glasgow

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Glasgow

Glasgow

(SwStr: t. 252; dr. 6'9"; a. 1 12-pdr. how., 1 12-pdr. r.)

Glasgow was originally blockade runner Eugenie, captured off Mobile Bay 6 May 1863 by R. R. Cuyler. She was purchased from the Key West Prize Court and commissioned 9 July 1863, Acting Ensign N. M. Dyer in command.

Assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron,Eugenie served as a dispatch and supply ship for the squadron between Mobile Bay and Pensacola, Fla. Eugenie sent an expedition to Mermentau Lake, La., 22 December 1863 for the capture of two British blockade runners. Schooner Derby was captured, but had to be burnt because of heavy enemy shore fire on the attacking party.

Eugenie was renamed Glasgow 21 January 1864, and after a week repairing at New Orleans in early February was back on station with the blockading fleet off Mobile. Serving mainly as dispatch boat, Glasgow aided in the destruction of blockade runner Ivanhoe under the fire of Fort Morgan 30 May 1864, and fired at an unknown blockade runner under the guns of the fort 1 July. She was present off Fort Gaines 8 August when the fort surrendered to Union forces after Admiral Farragut's historic victory at Mobile Bay, and received the Admiral on board for a brief visit 26 November.

During 1865, Glasgow continued her regular duties, and in addition served occasionally, because of her speed and light draft, as flagship of the West Gulf Squadron. She struck an obstruction and sank in shoal water off Mobile 8 May 1865, and was not raised until 19 June.Glasgow was taken to Pensacola for repairs and returned to duty 1 July 1866. Chosen to be retained for the post-war cruising squadron in the Gulf, Glasgow, served as storeship and visited New Orleans, Lakeport, La., and Mexican ports until she entered the Pensacola Navy Yard for repairs 23 January 1868. Departing Pensacola 10 March, she spent another five months cruising with the squadron on the lower Mississippi River and off Pensacola, returning there 6 August 1868. She decommissioned 17 October 1868 at Pensacola and was sold 4 June 1869 to Thomas McClellan.

 

'); ');