USSFort Hindman

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Fort Hindman SwStr

Fort Hindman

A fortification in the Arkansas River near Saint Charles, captured from the Confederates in January 1863.

(SwStr: dp. 286; 1. 160'; b. 37'; dr. 26'; a. 2 8" sb., 4 8")

Fort Hindman, a side wheel steamer, was purchased 14 March 1863 as James Thompson; joined the Mississippi Squadron in April 1863, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant T. O. Selfridge in command; was renamed Manitou 2 June 1863, and renamed Fort Hindman 5 November 1863.

In July 1863, the steamer headed an expedition up the Little Red River, a tributary of the Black River, and captured quantities of ordnance and Confederate Government provisions, as well as the ironclad Louisville. She continued to patrol the central Mississippi and its tributaries, taking a Confederate merchantman prize in the Red River 1 March, engaging Confederate sharpshooters and a battery ashore in the Black and later that day in the Ouachita River. During the expedition, Fort Hindman transported troops and prisoners, over and over again engaged Confederate batteries, and took part in the passage of the falls off Alexandria, La., on 8 May.

Moving to a more southerly patrol area, Fort Hindman operated in the rivers and bayous of Louisiana, occasionally returning to Natchez. She arrived at Mound City, III., 1 August 1865. There she was decommissioned 3 August 1865, and sold 17 August 1865.