USS Walter S. Gorka  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Walter S. Gorka APD-114

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Walter S. Gorka

(APD-114: dp. 1,650; 1. 306'0"; b. 37'0"; dr. 13'9"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 221; a. 1 5", 6 40mm., 6 20mm.; cl. Crosley )

Walter S. Gorka (APD-114) was laid down on 3 April 1945 at Hingham, Mass., by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 26 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Josephine B. Gorka, and commissioned on 7 August 1945, Comdr. R. G. Werner, USNR, in command.

Following fitting out, Walter S. Gorka conducted shakedown training in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, from 2 to 27 September and subsequently carried some 140 officers and men to the United States. Upon her return, she was ordered to remain in commission, in reserve, at the St. John's River reserve group at Green Cove Springs, Fla. She served there as headquarters ship during the deactivation of several of her sister ships. The ship was decommissioned in January 1947 and struck from the Navy list in June 1960. Walter S. Gorka was subsequently acquired by the government of Ecuador for conversion and use as a floating power plant.
hjk