USS Great Western  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Great Western

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Great Western

A former name retained.

(SwStr: t. 429; a. 1 12-par., 1 32-par., 1 6-pdr )

Great Western, a sidewheel steamer, was built at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1857 and was purchased by the War Department 10 February 1862. She was transferred to the Navy 30 September 1862, but had been used since her purchase by the Western Flotilla.

Great Western was used as an ordnance boat for the Navy on the western waters, and in that capacity operated from Cairo, Ill., to various points on the Mississippi and its tributaries. She supplied ships at the mouths of the White and Arkansas Rivers with ammunition and ordnance, and occasionally fired at Confederate batteries ashore in the almost daily engagements in keeping open the far-spreading river highway system by which the Union divided and destroyed the South. While with the Mortar Flotilla 30 July 1862 she fired on cavalry attacking the boats near the mouth of the Arkansas River and succeeded in driving them off

During 1862 and the first half of 1863, the overriding concern of Union forces was the capture of Vicksburg, and Great Western spent much of her time during this period near the mouth of the Yazoo River above the city in support of combined operations there. She provided support for the joint attacks of December 1862 above the city, and remained in the area until the Confederate stronghold fell in July 1863.

Following the fall of Vicksburg, Great Western continued her duties as supply ship for the squadron, being stationed at Skipwith's Landing, Miss., and Goodrich's Landing, La. In July 1864 she was sent to Cairo, Ill., the great Union naval base in the west, to act as a receiving ship. Great Western was transferred as receiving ship, Mound City, Ill., in March 1865, and was subsequently sold at auction there to John Riley 29 November 1865.

 

'); ');