USS Grampus II  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Grampus II

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Grampus II

( SwStr: t. 230; 1. 180' b. 27'; dph. 5, )

Rear Admiral D. D. Porter purchased Grampus, formerly Ion, for the U.S. Navy on 22 July 1863 at Cincinnati, Ohio, for $9,750.00. She was utilized as a receiving ship in the Mississippi Squadron, and stationed at Cincinnati, Ohio. By 14 November 1863 Acting Master Elijah Sells in command, she was recognized as a "nice little receiving vessel in first-rate order," but contained no furnishings or weapons other than 10 cutlasses and revolvers.

Acting Ens. C. W. Litherbury in command, Grampus at Cincinnati, Ohio, assisted in stripping of certain ships for conversion to gunboats, and effected their delivery to fleet staging points for the Mississippi Squadron, principally Cairo and Mound City, Ill. Grampus was sold to D. D. Holiday & Bros on 1 September 1868 at Mound City, Ill.

 

'); ');