USS Grafton II  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Grafton II PC-1431

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Grafton II

(PC-1431: dp. 251, 1. 136' b. 26': dr D' s 14 k cpl 59; a. 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 rkt., 2 dep., 2 det.; cl.

PCS-1415)

The second Grafton was laid down as POS-1431 by Gibbs Gas Engine Corp., Jacksonville, Fla.; 12 May 1943; launched 2 November; sponsored by Mrs. John R. Thompson; and commissioned 24 March 1944, Lt. George J. Meyer in command.

After shakedown off the coast of Florida PCS-143I was assigned to the Fleet Sonar School, Key West, Fla., where she assisted future submariners in learning the skills of offensive and defensive undersea warfare. She remained in Key West throughout the war years, and continued similar services out of Florida from 1946 to 1955.

During May 1955, PCS-l431 was designated a Naval Reserve training ship. She decommissioned 13 July 1955, and for the next 10 years she performed reserve operations along the Ohio River, including Wheeling, W. VA., and Louisville, KY. PCS-1431 was named Grafton 15 February 1956. She was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1965, and was sold in April 1966.

 

'); ');