USS Rawlins  

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Rawlins APA-226

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Rawlins

(APA-226: dp. 14 833 1. 455' b. 62' dr. 28'1" s. 17 k.cpl 536 tr 1,562 a; 1 5" 12 40 mm cl. Haskell :T.VC2-S-AP5)

Rawlins (APA-226), built under Maritime Commission contract (MCV hul1 672), was laid down by the Kaiser Co. Ine., Vancouver, Wash., 10 August 1944, launched 21 October 1944, sponsored by Mrs. C. C. Connors delivered to the Maritime Commission 10 November 1941; acquired by the Navy on loan-charter basis and commissioned 11 November 1944, Comdr. C. S. Beightler in command.

Following shakedown and training off the California coast Rawlins put into San Francisco for loading and routing to South Pacific ports. On 16 January 1945, she sailed for New Caledonia with miscellaneous cargo and Army replacemellt units. After delivery to Noumea, she continued on to Guadalcanal, arriving 8 February to join TransRon 18, then rehearsing for operation "Iceberg " the assault on Okinawa.

On 14 March Rawlins, with ist Marine Division units embarked, got underway for Ulithi for final logistics and on 27 March sailed for the Hagushi beaches on Okinawa. Arriving 1 April she remained until the 5th then retired to Saipan, whence she continued east to San Francisco. In July she returned to Okinawa with reinforcements, then, in early August, carried fresh troops to the Philippines from the east coast.

After the cessation of hostilities, Rawlins ferried ocoupation troops to Japan, then at the end of October was assigned to transport Army troops from the Philippines to San Francisco. On 27 July 1946 she terminated her last "Magic Carpet" run at Pearl Harbor, then swung south, transited the Panama Canal, and on 5 August arrived at Norfolk for inactivation.

Navy owned as of 26 May 1946, Rawlins decommissioned 15 November 1946 and was berthed at Norfolk as a unit of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. There for the next 12 years, Rawlins was transferred to the Maritime Administration 19 September 1958 and her name was struck from the Navy list 1 October 1958.