Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Sidonia AKA-42

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Sidonia

(AKA-42: dp. 4,087; 1. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16', s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 303; a. 1 5", 8 40mm., 10 20mm.: cl. Artemis: T. S4-SE2-BE 1) Sidonia (AKA-42) was laid down on 1 February 1945.

Under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1903) by the Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, R.I.; launched on 7 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Gustave Metzman and commissioned on 30 April 1945, Lt. Comdr. E. C. Earl in command.

Sidonia's sea trials were interrupted when she struck a derelict off Cape Cod on 11 May 1945, and repairs to her port propeller and to metallurgical defects in her port shafting lasted until 31 May. The ship arrived at Norfolk on 3 June and underwent shakedown in Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay from 4 to 13 June. After postshakedown repairs, she sailed on 23 June for France arriving at Marseilles on 4 July. There she loaded 26 troops with their supplies and sailed on 14 July for the Pacific, transiting the Panama Canal on 28 and 29 July, and calling at Eniwetok from 18 to 21 August. On 22 August, Sidonia's starboard engine was disabled by an electrical ground, and it remained out of commission during the rest of the ship's career. Sidonia arrived at Lingayen Gulf on 31 August and disembarked her troops and cargo. On 13 September, a fire disabled her port engine, and repairs lasted until 24 September. The ship arrived at Manila on 29 September and departed on 7 October with 322 homeward-bound servicemen, whom she disembarked at Portland, Oreg., on 9 November There her engines were dismantled, but, on 18 December; repairs were suspended and the ship was ordered deactivated. Sidonia was decommissioned at Everett, Wash., on 25 February 1946, struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946, and transferred to the War Shipping Administration on 29 June 1946 for retention in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. The ship was sold on 7 December 1964 to Zidell Explorations, Inc., Portland, Oreg., for scrapping.