(AK-102: dp. 14,550; 1. 441'6"; b. 56'11", dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k. (tl.), cpl. 206; a. 1 5", 4 40mm., cl. Crater T. EC2-S-C1)
Triangulum (AK-102) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MCE hull 1669) on 14 May 1943 as Eugene B. Daskam at Wilmington, Calif., by the California Shipbuilding Corp.; renamed Triangulum on 27 May 1943; launched on 6 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. D. H. Mann; acquired by the Navy on 19 June 1943 from the War Shipping Administration on a "bareboat" basis; converted to Navy use at the Destroyer Base, San Diego; and commissioned on 30 July 1943, Comdr. Eugene J. Kingsland, USNB, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Transportation Service, the auxiliary cargo ship moved up the coast to load cargo at San Francisco and stood out to sea with a convoy on 28 August, bound for the New Hebrides. She arrived at Espiritu Santo on 2 October and, for the next five months, shuttled troops and cargo between ports in Australia and New Guinea.
Triangulum embarked part of a battalion of Army combat engineers at Lae and sortied on 14 April 1944 with Task Group (TG) 77.1, the Western Attack Group, for the invasion of Hollandia. On the morning of 22 April, she began landing her 700 troops on the beaches of Humboldt Bay. The ship completed discharging cargo by 1800 the next day and departed in a convoy bound via Buna, for Milne Bay. She then resumed her supply runs between Australia and New Guinea.
The ship loaded combat cargo at Manus and got underway for Hollandia on 7 November to rendezvous with a convoy proceeding to the Philippines. She arrived at Leyte Gulf on the 19th and began discharging supplies. During her visit there, Japanese planes frequently attacked Allied shipping; and, during a raid on Thanksgiving Day, four of her men were wounded by friendly antiaircraft fire. On 4 December, she departed the area for Australia and, after calling at Hollandia, arrived at Brisbane on 17 December 1944. Triangulum shuttled supplies from Australia to South Pacific bases, mostly in New Guinea, for the next year. The supply runs were broken by three voyages to the Philippines: in January, May, and August 1945. On 8 November, she stood out of Leyte to load cargo at Hollandia, Biak, Milne Bay, and Manus to be transported to the United States.
On the last day of 1945, the ship arrived at San Francisco where she was stripped for inactivation and ordered to join the Reserve Fleet in Hawaii. Triangulum arrived at Pearl Harbor on 23 February 1946 and was decommissioned there on 15 April. In May 1947, she was towed back to San Francisco and returned to the Maritime Commission on 2 July. Triangulum was struck from the Navy list on 17 July 1947.
Triangulum received two battle stars for World War II service.