Düsseldorf Airport - Germany
Düsseldorf Airport opened on April 19, 1927. Its original functions were small: flights to Berlin, Hamburg and Geneva. In 1939 all civil aviation came to a halt, and by 1944 the entire complex had been destroyed by World War II air raids. Reconstruction began in 1948. On April 4, 1949, regular flights were resumed. Between 1950 and the 1970s various modifications were added, and it gradually grew into fully functional European airport. In 1975 a rail line between the airport and Düsseldorf Main Station was added to facilitate travel for all visitors. The 50 millionth passenger since the end of World War II passed through the airport in 1976. In 1990 the Noise Reduction Hangar was opened, and in 1994 construction on the Dus Air Cargo Center began.
Düsseldorf experienced a 7.3% increase its total number of passengers in 1994 - 14,003, 365. In addition, the number of aircraft movements went up by 5.4% to 175,526, and the amount of air freight passing through rose to 99,803 tons (4.4%) as well. In 1995 there were a total of 1,474 scheduled flights weekly to both domestic and international destinations. In general, the summer months at Düsseldorf Airport are extremely busy. It is at this time that it usually serves around seventy-three holiday destinations, the largest range of charter services offered by a German airport.